Monday, October 17, 2011

The Great baking soda revisited! uses in your home

so yesterday we shared some AMAZAZING uses for baking soda for your health and today I am going to share with you some general uses for baking soda in your home that I personally use and some that I've just discovered:

did you know you can keep cut flowers fresh longer by adding a teaspoon to the water in the vase. depending on the flowers, they can last up to a week longer!!

baking soda can be used to put out small fires on rugs, upholstery, clothing, and wood, if you have curious kids in the pre-teen stage, you may need this, most home fires that are not caused by household appliances are cause by kids! scary news

I'm sure we all know this one, put an open container of baking soda in the fridge to absorb the odors. but be sure to write the date on the box and rotate every 30 days or it could contribute to the funk in your fridge!

you can get rid of icky smells by sprinkling it on your ashtrays to reduce bad odor and prevent smoldering although, you should really quit smoking especially if you have kids see this site for tips and help if you are trying to quit : no fail guide to kick the habit

Sprinkle it on your slippers, boots, shoes, and socks to eliminate foul odor, you can also use baby powder for this purpose if you have more of that than baking soda!

Turn baking soda into modeling clay by combining it with one and 1/4 cups of water and one cup of cornstarch, this one I had NEVER heard of but it's awesome and I happen to have cornstarch around for when I make the most amazing vanilla pudding,  find the recipe here:  yummy vanilla pudding (I don't add the vanilla bean)

After feeding your baby, wipe his shirt with a moist cloth sprinkled with baking soda to remove the odor, no lie, my son is a crazy messy eater and this one comes in handy because I just can't change him every time he eats.

this one is helpful because that rain off stuff is some kind of expensive: Wipe your windshield with it to repel rain

similar to the use of putting baking soda in your washing machine , improve the smell of dishrags by soaking them in baking soda and water

don't spray your house with dangerous toxic bug spray, put baking soda under sinks and along basement windows to repel cockroaches and ants

if you are a gardener like I wish I could be, scatter baking soda around flowerbeds to prevent rabbits from eating your veggies or  sweeten your tomatoes by sprinkling baking soda on the soil around your tomato plants.(who knew?!?)

obviously, sprinkle it onto your cat’s litter box to absorb the bad odor, but litter boxes are the main reason why we don't have a cat but for dogs, sprinkle it on your pet’s comb or brush to deodorize their fur and skin

that's it for today, I assume most of you have gone out and stocked up your cupboards with baking soda but if you haven't yet, tune in tomorrow for even more extraordinary uses for baking soda!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Hey all, I am a young mom of one for now, who is a self-diagnosed neat freak. I love to clean and better yet I love to organize and clean with stuff I already have in my house! I am the wife to an amazing husband and the mom to an amazing son and the maid to a pretty awesome lil apartment!!!

Tweet tweet!!!