Monday, November 28, 2011

oh the blogging world.

it's hard to write a blog when you don't feel the support for it but writing this blog has been a great outlet for me and it has made me feel like I'm helping people which is what I love to do!

today I'm going to talk to you guys about post holiday stress clean-up.

I know things get messy over the holidays with all the people running in and out and all the gifts, food, kids, and general mess makers involved with holidays. I hope that my tips for thanksgiving day helped but lets go over what to do when the holidays are done and so is your energy.

first off I'd say, start small with something that will encourage you for the next task. For me it's cleaning the sink out, something about a shiny clean sink makes me feel like, soon, all will be right with the world. I know for our featured writer, Belinda from This Vintage Mommy, it was the look of a vacuumed floor. Whatever it is that makes your home feel instantly cleaner to you, do that first.

second, start small and stick to it. If you try to move the mountain as a whole, it seems impossible. Take 15 minutes and dedicate yourself to one task or area in your home and clean every bit of it that you can before the time is up. After that sit down and be done. The mess will still be there later there is no need to over-work yourself trying to do it all. Studies have shown that people who tackle one problem at a time actually get more done than people who try to push themselves to handle it all at the same time.

third, and this is important, enlist the help of the people sharing your space. you all have to live there and you all helped make the mess. Assign each person a 15 minute task. you'll get less grumbling if you pose it as only 15 minutes of work. and you can make a game with your kids and even the hubby. the kid who cleans the fastest gets to pick what you have for dessert that night or whichever adult gets the biggest space cleaned in 15 minutes gets to pick what you do on your next date night. they say a family that plays together stays together, well the same is true for a family that works together on a task and you are teaching your kids to clean and appreciate it when mom does it for them all the more.

happy cleaning and happy holidays

1 comment:

  1. This is fantastic, Cassie! I have a similar situation in my house! A baby, a dog, and the two adults! I have a hard time with keeping the place clean..... I try to focus on cleaning the kitchen every day..... But after that, nothing gets done!!! My son doesn't play by himself.... He only pulls things out of places that I've already cleaned and have to fix again... Any tips?

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Hey all, I am a young mom of one for now, who is a self-diagnosed neat freak. I love to clean and better yet I love to organize and clean with stuff I already have in my house! I am the wife to an amazing husband and the mom to an amazing son and the maid to a pretty awesome lil apartment!!!

Tweet tweet!!!